Thursday 11 October 2007

The future is behind us


Yes, I know 2,234 (at the last count) members of the Facebook group Am I the only person who doesn’t like David Cameron? is a pathetic response to the Tory leader effectively inviting the whole country to join the group by mentioning it in his conference speech. All the more so when even the Bring Back Blair group has 44 members (and not all of them friends of Nick Cohen).

But I’m not sure whether the poor response is a reflection of a lack of interest in the Facebook group or a lack of interest in Cameron himself. The last time I saw an electorate so uninterested in the possibility of an election was when the Widnes Pigeon Fanciers Association had two nominations for minutes secretary. Gordon Brown backed off not because he thought he might lose but because he couldn’t be sure that anyone would vote.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I suppose the wisdom of ages should have taught me that jokes are wasted on the literal-minded.

Steve Platt said...

Oh Nick, I'm disappointed in you. Can't you see that it was an attempt at humour on my part? We really do need that typeface for irony, don't we?